“The ants are marching one by one, Hoorah, Hoorah . . . “
While that old song was fun when I enjoyed ants as pets, now when I see those little guys in my house it is more cringe worthy than sing worthy.
Were you that kid when you were little who collected ants and kept them in containers as pets? I was.
I fed them Cheetos and was always amazed when they somehow found ways to escape my container. In my adulthood, I no longer feed ants, but only wish them to stay far from my kitchen and food containers. I know I’m not alone in this. But I also refuse to use dangerous insecticides and sprays inside my home. I do want ant free floors, but not at the expense of the health of my cute toddler nephew and dogs!
Spray these substances to spray on ant trails and entry points for kid and pet friendly (and CHEAP) extermination:
- Baking Soda
- Borax – 1 tbsp of borax with 1 tsp of peanut butter, honey, or sugar
- Vinegar (Any kind will do) – solution of 1 part water, 1 part vinegar
- Salt – Add salt to boiled water, put in spray bottle
- Pepper – Cayenne or any other dried pepper
- Soap – Soap and water solution
- Baby Powder
- Mint (Tea bags, leaves, or powder)
Use this list and search your cabinets to see what chemical alternatives you have to keep the ant parade outside your home.